Are you looking for a meaningful volunteer experience overseas? As a local, grassroots NGO in Ghana, the expertise and experience that volunteers bring can be enormously helpful in building our capacity. Our guiding values for our volunteer programme are:
Prioritising the children’s well-being
Pride in our local staff
A truly meaningful experience for our visitors
If these values resonate with you, check out the possible volunteer positions we have a need for and fill out an interest form.
In line with our child protection policy, we require all short-term volunteers to provide a background check from their home country.
- Economic development: advising Challenging Heights and community members on local economic needs, cooperative development, and community-scale sustainability in order to prevent child trafficking.
- Accountants / Grant-writers: reviewing organisational financial systems and/or conducting a 1-2 week refresher course on financial and accounting processes. Additionally, grant/proposal writers who can similarly provide trainings.
- Social Work and/or Teacher Trainers: training staff and teachers at the Challenging Heights Hovde House on best practices and/or providing refresher trainings.
- IT Expert / Network Management: overhauling Challenging Heights’ IT systems and providing hardware/software.
- Monitoring & Evaluation Expert: training management on best practices for improving organisational effectiveness.
- Group volunteerism visits: We welcome small groups who can plan and execute short-term programmes designed to tackle the driving factors of trafficking or to build our infrastructure.
We recognise the value of internships as not only a learning opportunity for our interns but also as a chance for use to help create the next leaders in the anti-slavery world. Additionally, international internships are increasingly a valued part of a well-rounded resume or CV.
Internships are available for two to six months. Internships are unpaid, and interns are responsible for their own costs while at Challenging Heights.
Applications are rolling and based on the needs of the organisation. As our needs change over time, the descriptions below are examples of some of our needs.
- Research: designing and conducting an intensive research project either with our staff or in the field. While we have specific research needs, we welcome proposals from all.
- Partnerships & Fundraising: cultivating partnerships in Ghana and abroad, contributing to fundraising proposals, and working with our Ambassadors, who fundraise on our behalf.
- Reading Tutor / After-school Coach: working as a reading and literacy tutor for small groups of students at the library. Organising indoor & outdoor play activities and facilitating child rights clubs after school.
- Administrative Assistant: providing human resource or secretarial support and helping with the smooth running of the office.
- Advocacy: assisting our communications and advocacy programme by researching, writing policy papers, and meeting with stakeholders.
- Play Leader / Teaching Assistant: organising play activities with the children at the Challenging Heights Hovde House. Due to the sensitive nature of working with children during rehabilitation, this is a longer term placement. Speaking a Ghanaian language (Twi, Fante or Effutu) is a requirement for this placement.
- Social Work / Child Monitoring: working with the Recovery Team to provide rehabilitation care and monitoring of reintegrated children. These interns must speak at least one of the following languages, in addition to English: Fante, Twi, or Effutu.
|Programme||What’s included?||Programme Length||Fees per person|
|Volunteering*||Airport transfers, accommodation, staff support, and orientation materials||One week||$350|
|Each additional week||+$100|
|Internship||Airport transfers, staff support and orientation materials||Minimum 2 months||Living expenses** + $200|
*As volunteer placements are needs-based, fees are subject to change based on support.
**Local living expenses are lifestyle-dependent, but can be estimated at $20 per day including accommodation, local transportation and food.
Fees can be paid in person in dollars or local currency.
Please fill out our interest form and indicate your preferences as well as the time period you propose to spend your internship or volunteer opportunity.